Elementary and Kindergarten



Hashimi School is situated in a densely populated area in the east of Amman not far from the centre of Downtown. It is mostly older residential property with shops and a few businesses. The economy is fairly low with some unemployment so it is a relatively poor area.

After the establishment of the parish in 1950, the foundation of the school by the Parish Priest Father Boutros Sulieman took place. The first students numbered fifty seven with two teachers. Over the years the school has continued to expand as the number of Christian children in the area grew.

After Father Na’oum Karatshe was appointed parish priest in 1962, the Patriarch was able to buy two houses in the parish and demolish them to build a school and residence for the Rosary Sisters. In 1974 the Kindergarten became a separate school with its own Principal. Later, in 1977, a south wing was added to the main building, financed by the German Lieutenancy. A new Kindergarten building was constructed in 1982, a short distance from the main school. Four years later, in 1986, the new Hashimi School was constructed, again financed by the generous support of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre. It has 21 classrooms with a room for the staff, a library plus a centre for the scouts and youth.

This new construction, together with the excellent reputation of the school, resulted in a great increase in the number of children attending the school.  From the small original school of two teachers and fifty-two pupils it then had thirty-five staff with one thousand two hundred students. This meant that there was a shortage of space, which resulted in overcrowding. Much needed to be done to improve the situation, to keep up with the standards set by other private schools and to comply with the developing vision and policy plan of the Ministry of Education. There was no choice but to respond to these strategies regarding the space and services.

It was clear that the number of students would have to be reduced by almost half. Introducing the new facilities by providing science laboratories, library and computer laboratory put a heavy strain on the school, staff and budget. In 1998 Father Ashraf Nimri, the parish priest, together with the staff started the process of improving the conditions in the school, its services and human resources.

In 2000 the Headmistress, Miss Suha Haddadin, was appointed to continue this process. In spite of the severe restrictions imposed by the narrowness of the site, which is situated in an enclosed area with buildings tightly close up to the boundary on all sides, she was able to achieve a tremendous improvement in a very short time.

The environmental aspect of the playground has been improved with the restoration of the old playground. With the financial help of the Cambridge Nazareth Trust, it has been possible to establish two other small play areas. An old house has been demolished and the land paved to provide the space much needed, for play and sport. Though small it is impossible for it to be enlarged any further due to the close proximity of the surrounding buildings.  Inside, the buildings have been redecorated with new improved desks provided and the library supplied with up to date books in both Arabic and English. Furnished with new furniture and tables, it is now a valuable resource area for the important curriculum subjects in the school. An excellent science laboratory with up to date equipment for the development of scientific skills is now in use.

In the past five years great improvements have been made to enable the students to achieve the highest educational standards and be among the best in Jordan. These have been made possible by the generous financial help given, during these years, mainly by the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre and the Cambridge Nazareth Trust.



L I N K S to the schools >>>>>>>>>>

1866                                 SALT

 1874                                FUHEIS

1876                                 KARAK

1880                                 MADABA

1885                                 HOSON

1885                                 AJLOUN

1890                                 ANJARA

1910                                 SMAKIEH

1924                                 MISDAR

1924                                 NAOUR

1925                                 WAHADENEH

1928                                 ADER

1928                                 SHATANA

1935                                 SAFOUT

1940                                 MAFRAQ

1949                                 HASHIMI

1949                                 ZERQA SOUTH

1956                                 ZERQA NORTH

1963                                 MARKA

1970                                 TILA AL ALI

1973                                 ASHRAFIEH

1991                                 JUBAIHEH

                                      2000                                    WASSIEH